HomeAdvisor.com gives homeowners a brutal reality check: “No formal education is required to become a roofing contractor, and most of them learn from on-the-job experience. Licensing requirements vary by state. Some states specify that a roofing contractor must have a license to work on any job, while others may have specifications. For example, in Georgia, a roofer can’t work on a job that costs more than $2,500 without a license.”
The fact that you could hire a person who is winging it while they work on an essential piece of your home that protects you from the elements and that is also a key component of whether or not your utility bills are as low as possible is scary! Even though it’s tempting to choose a roofing contractor purely on cost or their proximity, especially when a tree branch leaves a hole in your roof large enough to see the stars from the comfort of your recliner chair, resist the urge to act impulsively.
Tips for Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
In addition to a contractor license, choose a roofing contractor with the following:
- Liability insurance
- Business license
- That’s Bonded
- Willingness to provide a written estimate
- Willingness to provide at least three references
Another aspect of roofing that’s worth mentioning is the difference between independent roofing contractors and roofing companies. Although independent roofing contractors may be less expensive, it may be more challenging to learn if that independent contractor possesses relevant licensing and certifications. The roofing project may even take longer since independent contractors often work alone or with a small team. On the other hand, it’s typically much easier with roofing companies to learn about their licensing and certifications. Roofing companies also tend to offer a more extensive example of their previous work and references.
Nitro Roofing & Construction Answers the Call
If you’re unsure of where to turn for your roofing needs, strongly consider Nitro Roofing & Construction. Nitro is family-owned for the better part of two decades and operates out of two offices– New Bremen, Ohio and Columbus, Ohio. As their website articulates:
- “With the purchase of a nitro roofing system, you will automatically receive a 10-year workmanship warranty, with options of up to 50 years.”
- “Simply using your smartphone, take a few quick photos of the outside of your home, and you’ll have a beautiful 3D rendering, helping you to visualize a wide variety of options.” Click here to learn more.
- Nitro offers roofing and construction services, including the following:
- Residential & Commercial Roofing
- General Residential & Commercial Construction
- Decks and Awnings
- Windows and Doors
- New Construction
- General Repairs
- Nitro accepts check, credit card, and offers a financing options including 0% Interest and deferred payments.
Your roof protects your home along with everyone and everything within it. Just as you would never hire someone to watch your children or someone to watch your home while you’re away who you had not done your due diligence evaluating, give your roof that same care and thoughtfulness. Your choice of roofing contractor correlates directly to your roof’s longevity and the cost of your utility bills, so take the time to choose wisely.