For many homeowners, the roof of their home doesn’t receive too much attention until something goes drastically wrong, and a roof replacement is no expense to take care of “tomorrow” because come tomorrow, it just may be too late.
Let’s go over a few symptoms you should be tracking so you can act before the ultimate telltale sign of water running through your roof.
- Curled or Missing Shingles – Your roof will show signs of aging if the shingles are curled and not lying flat. When shingles begin to curl they are more prone to blow or fall off during storms, leaving your home more exposed to the outside elements.
- Granules in Gutters or Downspouts – Missing granules, which end up in gutters or downspouts, indicate your roof is losing its weatherproofing properties. Losing an excessive amount of granules over the years means your roof isn’t able to provide the maximum protection it’s supposed to.
- Roof Sagging – An expired roof will lack in functionality and cause weather runoff issues. An easy way to spot this is if your roof is sagging, which occurs when water pools in the weaker spots on your roof, usually between the rafters or gable ends.
- Wind & Water Damage – The bipolar weather of Ohio brings no surprise to spiking high winds and major storms throughout the year. Don’t lose sight of your fascia and soffit boards. If you are not familiar with these two fancy words, fascia is a long piece attached right under the roof, and will run along the edge. Soffit is a small overhang that connects your wall to the bottom of the roof.
- Streaks – When looking at your roof, take note of any discoloration or streaks on your roof. This is algae–Gloecapsa Magna to be exact–and it feeds on the limestone in shingles. Over time those big black streaks will become more apparent and lead to premature aging in your shingles as well as granule loss.
Your roof is one of those items that protects you and your family year after year, so it deserves proper maintenance. Even if you’ve had your roof replaced recently and find it too soon to be having issues, age can mean nothing if the roof wasn’t installed correctly.
Start tracking your roof condition with the signs above, and if you’ve already seen these warning signs take place, we are only a call or message away from a free roof consultation (click here to contact us). Trust the Nitro family and get your roof assessed so we can ensure your family is protected.